Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ride the Power

Take the human out of the equation and you might just get something like this:

“Where’re you going?” says the bicycle to the car.

“Just for a spin up to the lake; why do you ask?” says the car.

“You gotta take me with you! I’d give my front brake to know what 85 mph is like! I’ll ride the roof…”

“No way, you don’t belong on the road with cars like me.” 

“What?! Really?! You’re going to go there! Why not just kick me in the crank set you two-ton, gas-guzzling bastard!”

“Jeez, did I hit a nerve or what? I was just kidding… I’d never say you don’t belong on the road and really mean it. Heck, it's just pavement...and you two-wheelers were on the roads well before we four-wheelers were around in any great numbers. But really, a “gas-guzzling bastard”? Bike, that’s pretty harsh! You've got quite a mouth on you.”  

“Oh … it just came out, I’m cranky, my chain's kind'a dry and frankly,(whispering)I'm in need of a bit of oil. I’m sorry. Will you please forgive me?" 

“I suppose so.”

“Can I ride the power then? C'mon Car, be a pal!”

“All right, you can ride the power. Hop on up there and we'll get going. To tell the truth, I’ve always admired your simple design, your connection with your rider, your…uh…how you say, je ne sais quoi.”

“A French car huh? Never would'a guessed. What are you a Peugeot? Citroen?”

“No! I'm a Ford, American muscle…I just figured you bikes were all French so I’d throw a little of your native tongue at you, to make you feel at home.”

“Whatever, muscles! Let’s just go for a cruise.”

“You got it friend…here comes ninety.”

“Ninety! What, are you trying to peel my grip tape?”

So, what am I saying? I'm saying, strip people from the machines and the machines would get along just fine. Strip cars and bikes from their people and you're left with just people...no labels, no groups--no cyclists, no motorists--just people...let's not forget that next time we buckle up or throw a leg over a top tube. Just people. Expand your group.

No comments:

Post a Comment